36 October 22nd, 2011 Michael Learned to temporarily replace Jeanne Cooper on The Young and the Restless!

Courtesy /MLearned

Daytime Emmy award winning actress and soap icon, Jeanne Cooper (Katherine Chancellor) of The Young and the Restless has needed to take a medical leave from the number one soap.  Rest assured, she is OK.  So the show, not to lose any steam with their planned storyline has temporarily recast the legendary Cooper, with none other than Emmy Award winning mom from The Waltons primetime veteran, Michael Learned!!

EW.com learned the news and got an official statement from the series executive producer and head writer, Maria Arena Bell. “Michael Learned is an accomplished actress and we are grateful that she is able to fill in for Jeanne Cooper for this short time  Jeanne is an integral part of our show and we look forward to her imminent return.  We have great storyline coming up for Mrs. Chancellor.”

Learned first tape date is this Wednesday and she will first air on the November 10th episode of the series.  Soap fans will also remember that recently Michael completed a cancer story arc as Shirley on General Hospital!

Tags: , , , ,

1. Brian Greene says:

Michael is wonderfully versatile, & she no doubt will bring her own good stuff to the role for the time being, but there always will be only 1 “Kay Chancellor”.

Hurry Back, Jeanne. We Love You! :-)

2. Wanda says:

GMAB! Y&R is not going to lose any steam waiting for Jeanne Cooper to return play her part. I don’t care to see anyone bringing good stuff to the character of Katherine Chancellor because nothing but Jeanne’s stuff can ever be her. What’s the rush in the get to know Devon story? The Y&R cast has so many stories and a cast so large viewers beg to see their favorites. Why not let some others that never get time do something in her absence? Paul, Lauren, Micheal, Jill, Colin, Neil, Nina, Chance, and isn’t Nikki back now?

i enjoyed her on GH, she’s a great actress.

4. Kalamaty says:

WOW….. this is big news! Wishing Jeanne good luck in her procedure and a speedy recovery! Will be interesting to see what Michael will bring to the role…. she’s definitely an actress of great acclaim. A suprisingly interesting casting choice….. looking forward to seeing her scenes; there will be, of course, only one Mrs. C, though! :) Wishing them both well!

5. JustSaying says:

She would be a good addition to Y&R. If they had a storyline where it was revealed that Tucker is actually someone else’s son – played by Michael Learned – that would be a great turn of events. I don’t like that he is Katherine’s son. That’s one history rewrite I would approve of.

6. Kelli N. says:

I’ve enjoyed Michael Learned’s acting for years. I’m looking forward to seeing her take on the Kay Chancellor role.

7. Jim C. says:

I wish the best for Mrs Cooper as I have watched this show since its infancy back in 1973 and she has been inspiration to me. I know Mrs Learned will be a excellent stand-in but there will only be one Mrs C and I will look forward to Mrs Coopers return.

8. Pat M. says:

Oh my the Y & R with out Mrs. C. that is going to be hard one to take. Hopefully all goes well with her and she will be back before we miss her. She is one tough lady and I love watching her . Yes Billy & Victoria need to get back together along with Malcolm and Sofia. Neil and Phyllis need to get a life. Love u Mrs. C. and hurry back.

Edna Jackson replied

Ms. Cooper hope your hiatus will be short. You are a strong lady, wishing you well. Cane should not have to risk his marriage and life for that no account Billy.

9. jenny says:

She better come back soon or you will lose a viewer.

10. will s. says:

I was bewildered to watch my dvr of Y&R and to see SOMEONE ELSE playing Katherine!! My first instincts were that Jeanie had taken ill,but was very glad to find that it would only be temporary. Katherine Chancellor is like my Grandmother! I’ve watched Y&R since I could comprehend daytime drama, and there is ONLY ONE Mrs.Katherine Chancellor. Godspeed to you Jeanie Cooper/hope to see YOU back real soon!! … A longtime devoted fan/viewer.

11. kathy heard says:

I have been so worried and now to know that Mrs. C is doing well makes my day. We love you.

12. JW says:

hope all is well with Mrs C.. good match for her

13. Newelette Stevenson says:

I have watched Y&R since the first show. Mrs.C is the Cake as well as the icing on Y&R! Get well soon Mrs. C!

14. mikeesralian says:

I hope Mrs C is not getting another face lift. She has cut away enough skin to make another person. Her face is tighter than the bark of a tree as it is. Let it sag baby, you are older than Mathusala so let your age shine baby. We will love you all the same you sassy old timer. And hurry back! The show needs you.

15. becky sprayberry says:

just wanted to let jeanie cooper know that we miss her and hope she gets to feeling better soon.

16. irene says:

No one will ever replace Mrs. C. I love her . For a old women she still has a memory, and still active. Many people her age could not do what she does. I am proud of her. Keep it up. I wish her only health and happiness in the New Year. Especially health. Without health you have nothing. Love u

17. Rita says:

No one can replace the real Katherine Chancellor. While the stand-in is a nice person (loved her on her previous show) but the feel is definitely not the same. I have to stop all the time and think how the “real” Katherine would be saying things to even get the feel of Katherine talking. Sorry……….the feeling is not close to the same. She does not have the fire, passion, tanasity and etc. that the original brings to the show.

K.P. replied

When Michael speaks, I see Mrs. C…THAT role is irreplaceable! Hurry back Mrs. C!

18. LA Turnbow says:

NO One can replace Mrs.Chancellor or Victor Newman. I’m glad she is ok, but I do look forward to her coming back. She and Victor are ICONS No One can replace. I doubt I would ever watch the show if they were to leave.I have watched The Young and Restless since it was first televised.

MUCH LOVE TO ALL The Cast!

19. CeCe says:

Sorry, but Michael is NOT cutting it as Mrs. C. I’m pretty open to most new cast members, but although I like Michael, it doesn’t take a genius to realize she just doesn’t fit the bill.

I’m looking forward to the the return of Jeanne Cooper. I wish you the best Jeanne, stay strong and come back soon, we miss you!

K.P. replied

Shes not fitting the bill because we loved her as Momma Walton and NOT Mrs. C! If she were a no name it would have been a better choice! We wouldn’t compare so hard! HURRY BACK Mrs. C!!!

20. Soapie says:

I love you Y&R and Mrs. C. can’t wait for her return. I loved the Waltons too — regarding M. Learned (grew up with both shows). Wish you all the best:0)

21. TracyC says:

I love you and am looking forward till you get back to where you belong. You are the one and only Mrs. C..
    I miss your feisty self ((hugs))

22. TracyC says:

I miss your feisty self

23. TracyC says:

24. Crystal says:

I can not wait for your return . I am really missing you.!!!!

25. MSunshineinOB says:

Micheal Learned is a wonderful actress. In this role she does not hold a candle to Jeanne Cooper.
    She is not coming across as the wealthy upscale resident of Genoa City.
    Frankly I do not know of anyone who could take this role. Jeanne is irreplaceable. I wish you the very best Jeanne and hope you are getting better each day. I am a faithful Y & R fan and you are what keeps the show going. I look forward every day to your return. Mrs. C. is #1 all the way around. I miss you. Marsha

26. jeannette says:

yes, mrs .c. I will always.miss you,been following your carree for many years.You are my best actress. get well soon, and hurry back I miss you.

jeannette replied

miss you mrs. c

27. miss patsy says:

I wish this show would not be so much a Sex in the City, all they do is have sex, Phyllis and Sharon are nothing but sluts…Men do not watch Y&R like women so why so much low terrible clothes. Sharron is always in bed with someone.

28. Jo Stasi says:

We love you Jeanne & hope to see you soon.

29. K.P. says:

YOU Mrs. C are the ONLY one who can fill these shoes..(Michael is good temporarily but….) They are TOO big for anyone else! We miss your feistyness, your candor, your wit and charm! Heres hoping whatver procedure your having done goes well, and your recovery is swift! We miss you like no other… Hurry back!

30. Lora Lupis says:

It was so difficult to watch the show without you! Jeannie Cooper

I have been watching Y&R for 20 years and you have always been my favorite actress

Happy to see you back! Please stay Healthy- we missed you!

A Long Time Loyal Fan-Lora

31. wifi booster says:

Hello my family member! I wish to say that this post is awesome, great written and include almost all vital infos. I’d like to look extra posts like this .

32. kimberly says:

Mrs. C your are deeply missed and cannot wait for your return to the show. It’s not just the same without you, God Bless and get well soon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!