77 January 8th, 2013 BREAKING NEWS: Genie Francis Returns To General Hospital!

Courtesy/TimesColumnist

General Hospital fans are getting their wish! It’s the comeback everyone has been hoping for and through the efforts of executive producer, Frank Valentini it has come to pass!

Breaking news this afternoon has Daytime Emmy winner and fan favorite Genie Francis set to return to her beloved role as Laura Spencer on the ABC soap!

According to EW.com,  “Francis just closed a deal to reprise her role as Laura Spencer for the drama’s 50th anniversary this year.  She’ll report to the sudser’s Studio City, Calif., set sometime later this month for a Feb. 11 debut, which is actually 50 days before the series’ April 1 anniversary.

Francis stated on her upcoming return, “I don’t know what the story is.  I have no idea, but Frank is very persuasive, energetic, infectious and has a sense of fun, a positive-ness that makes you want to work for the guy. He assured me there was going to be nice stuff to play. I am choosing to believe him.  It’s not for me to tell them how to run their show. But my biggest concern was that there had to be a good reason for me to stay away from my family.”  And that according to the report will be done so viewers understand why Laura would be away from her beloved children.

As of now it is unclear how long Francis will be sticking around.  However, Frank Valentini took to Twitter just a few minutes ago and celebrated with all of his followers and GH fans tweeting, “It’s so awesome! Genie Francis is on her way to Port Charles!”    Genie then followed suit on her Twitter account with this tweet:  “Okay now that you tweeted it I can tweet it too. Looking forward to working with you!”

Francis was let-go by The Young and the Restless late in 2012 as Genevieve Atkinson which paved the way for this opportunity.  However, it appears that Valentini looked to be trying to figure out a way to lure Genie back all-along to her original home in Port Charles!

So soapers, what do you think of the news of Genie returning to GH?   Let us know, we know so many of you have been hoping for this day!

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Blake says:

That’s great! Glad to see someone having Laura back on the show and not doing things out of spite (Jill Farren Phelps!!!). Hopefully she’s back for good.

2. Sal Piscioneri says:

Fantastic news, I have been a fan of Genie since her arrival in the 70′s as Laura Vining- Falkner- Weber- Baldwin-, Spencer-, Cassadine-, Spencer.

3. Ces says:

Thrilled to have Genie back and hopefully they have a story for her and Tony!!

4. Jules says:

Yes, more cast members to an already heavily bloated show. While I think Laura deserves, correction NEEDS, to be on the show before 90% of those on now, but come on? Great she’s returning but what good is it all when there is SO much weight carried all over the place? The show still needs so much more work before I’d ever tune back in again.

Lisa replied

So why do you even care enough to comment? Fortunately many fans feel the exact opposite of you. So you aren’t watching? Your loss not GH’s.

Jules replied

Because I had something to say that I wanted to share!
    And because MY opinion is as valid and important as EVERYONE else’s here.
    AND because I CAN!

My loss? MY loss? Really? My loss that I’m not committing 5 more hours a week to mindless television that is better spent on me being with my friends, my family, my work, my volunteer work, working out and, I don’t know, sleeping? Please! If ANYONE is winning by me not watching, it’s most definitely ME!

You have a problem with my comments, keep scrolling. I make my opinion about GH very clear. If you wanted to have a civil, respectful conversation on the topic, I’d have been more than happy to oblige. But since you seem to want to start something, let me stop you right here and just ask you to kindly bug off. Thanks.

Jules replied

And by the way, my first comment wasn’t even a harsh enough to deserve such a reply from you. I think it’s a reasonable and pretty sensible observation. Cut the dead weight before you add more heavy hitters. Not rocket science.

CTwildheart replied

Wow Jules. You are correct in that your first comment wasn’t THAT harsh…but it was very negative. Lisa’s response was not harsh either, I think you took it wrong.

I disagree with your opinion of GH. While there are many cast members, there is room for more with the right story.

I don’t understand all the work you think needs to be done. You obviously haven’t been watching in 2012 – because the new regime has done wonders. It does not feel ‘bloated’ and moves much quicker than in the past. I am glad you are winning by not watching anymore, I think that’s best for everyone.

Lisa replied

Hysterical much? I made a 3 sentence comment and you freak and post 3 paragraphs. You said you posted because you can, well so can I, so perhaps you shouldn’t tell people to bug off after that statement, or to keep scrolling. If you don’t want replies don’t run the risk of posting. I would say IMO that your comments aren’t as valid and important when you admittedly don’t even watch the show as you proudly proclaimed. I was simply asking why you care to post on this, not why you can. I have gone periods of time not watching GH in the past decades at times when I disliked the writing. I did not pay attention to stories about a show I hide no interest in and didn’t waste time commenting when I wasn’t informed. You may not “waste” your time watching 5 hours a week but you obviously “waste” time thinking about GH, reading about it and commenting on it. Why do you feel so angry when I said it is your loss, if you think it is to awful to watch? How do you know who is dead weight on a show you do not watch? What civil, respectful things do you think you could offer on a subject that does not even affect you. Again by your own admission. I don’t know why you are so bitter. Perhaps you will be happy if the day comes when soaps are history. But then you’ll have to find another place to offer your uneducated opinion.

5. Scott (ATWT Fan) says:

I cannot help but feel this to be a bad move. They’re going to write Laura just like she was when she left in 2008. And I cannot help but believe that several actors will be seeing a lack of airtime, or seeing pink slips coming their way to make her return comfortable.

We’ll see how long this reprisal is for, and how long it’ll actually work storyline wise. She has no ties to Port Charles anymore. Nikolas is away and Lucky is off doing who knows what with who knows who in Ireland.

melanieofoz replied

What about Lulu? When Lulu finds out Maxie lost the baby, she’ll need her Mama. Can’t wait for Lulu/Laura scenes.

susan M. replied

I agree with you melanieofoz !!!!!!!!!!!!

brian replied

what…. lulu doesn’t count?

Christine replied

Lulu is still there and, given what she is going through, could really use her mom. :-)

I hear what you say, Scott, but I am hoping for the best.

Lisa replied

Are you psychic? Because that is the only way I can imagine that you know just how they will write for Laura. Like others said, I guess Lulu doesn’t count as anyone important. There are still other people in PC that Laura knows. But I guess some people prefer to be negative before anything has even happened.

tim replied

What about Aiden? Don’t forget she still has a grandson in PC.

k/kay replied

And Liz was like a daughter to her! All I want her to do is get to clean Luke’s plow you know the guy who hated being married to her hated the home they lived in had an affair on her which produced that awful actor / son Ethan. You know Laura the character that Guza totally destroyed with JFP and even certain actors chimeing in. So if FV &RC can bring my Laura back swinging let’s hit the road running.

CTwildheart replied

This new regime will definitely NOT write Laura like the old regime did in 2008!

Scott (ATWT Fan) replied

Have to disagree CTwild! Cartini enjoy weak women, and Genie doesn’t want to portray weak anymore.

susan M. replied

I agree with CTwildheart! Her charcter I think will be a strong one or she wouldn’t
    agreed to come back on Gh! I think it will be different also. New writers, new storyline for Genie.

6. Michael S. says:

To all the negative comments posted. Genie is the epitome of GH so it makes only sense she be apart of GH’s 50th Anniversary. Kudos to Frank for making this happen and I’m confident Cartini will do Laura right and provide some great stuff for the longtime fans of GH. So excited!

heidi replied

Well said… totally agree!!! Genie deserves to be there for the 50th!!! Way to go GH!!! Will be hapy to have her there for any amount of time!!!

susan M. replied

Yes, well said Michael S.

k/kay replied

Right on Michael see post above the wedding episode is still the most watched in daytime and I do not think any other woman on that show is responsible for that her name is Genie Francis. Show some respect to daytime royalty. Lol

7. Jamie says:

OH M GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

Could not be happier! They better come up with a damn good reason why Laura has been away so long!!!! They never even mention her. It’s infuriating! So excited to see scenes with Laura and Lulu, as Julie has become such an amazing actor over the years! So excited! I heart Ron and Frank!!!!

8. Babulator says:

This is great news! Viewers have waited long enough for Genie to come home to producers who actually WANT her. Just hope that she doesn’t get started in a storyline that then gets put on hold for two months – like they’ve done with the Anna/Robert/Duke/Robin story—-it’s been 4 WEEKS SINCE WE’VE SEEN THEM IN THEIR CLIFFHANGER! But Genie back on GH is a great move!

9. Christine says:

I am so happy for Genie Francis and “Laura” fans.

I think they could really do something wonderful with Laura given that Luke is not on much and/or has been phased out of the Anna and Tracy romances.

10. Andy says:

I couldn’t be more thrilled! The show is in better creative hands than when Ms. Francis last worked there, and I have high hopes that this collaboration will do justice to the character’s history and bring Laura into GH’s next 50 years.

Jamie replied

Yep! I agree! Now bring back Brenda too and undo the travesty that was written for her last time! Her character was unrecognizable last time!

Christine replied

Oh you said it!

I started watching again just for Vanessa, but when they threw Dante into it (and no offense to Dominic), the story became so boring I quit watching again until GH was literally on life support a little more than a year ago.

I’m glad I am back, though. The show is firing on all cylinders again.

11. MBmomof3 says:

Wow! The good news just keeps coming!

12. Angela says:

Perfect timing. Yesterday was all about Y&R and a certain actor who signed with them. To that I say “welcome Home Genie” and to J.F. Phelps I say Steve who?

13. David says:

Great news on Genie’s return. Cannot wait. For those who are negative look at how the show turned around characters like Anna and Monica. I am sure they will do Laura justice and fix the mistakes that were made when she was last on.

awesome news, its about time, its going to be fun.

15. Robbyrob says:

Take that Steve Burton! Frankly, it truly astounds me that some of you are not happy at this news…this is Genie FREAKIN Francis who played Laura! If it wasn’t for Luke & Laura, GH may not have survived the late 70s and early 80s. Yes, GH had other iconic characters but come on, Elizabeth Taylor was a fan!

I’m so impressed by how Frank & Ron are trying to restore GH’s iconic history that was almost completely destroyed by Jill Farren Phelps, who’s now at YR….and she just grabbed Steve Burton…which I wasn’t too happy about but the day after that, ABC trumps that news tenfold!!!!!!!!! It’s not even stunt casting as Genie actually played Laura.

I’m so excited for GH right now. The ratings are rising and ABC must be slapping themselves silly for dumping the other soaps.

Mary Fergen replied

Ha! If ABC are slapping themselves silly right now, I’d like to help, or at least watch! Welcome home, Genie!

16. Lew S says:

Have we become so skeptical and negative that we cannot recognize positive change? Luke and Lulu are still there and who knows they may be able to get Tyler Christopher back for the 50th and Denise Alexander (Leslie – her mom). Let’s give credit to Frank and Ron. They have brought GH back to life and avoid the cancellation axe.

susan M. replied

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

susan M. replied

I agree with you about Leslie , Luke & LuLu still being there for Laura. And yes GH
    has been re- charged thanks to Frank and Ron!!!!!

17. randy says:

this is a classy call…finally producers writers all the behind the scene people having respect for the actors that are actually the reason they have a job…wasnt back in the 70s when general hospital was near cancellation..and along came gloria monty and alas luke and laura…welcome home genie francis..and welcome back general hospital to my daily tv viewing,,,lots of room on my pvr since i took young and restless off my recordings the day they fired miss francis,,,

18. susan M. says:

I am happy Genie Francis is coming back to Port Charles! I rememeber Luke & Laura’s
    wedding and when Laura first came on GH…..Now that Laura is coming back what
    will happen to Luke and Anna now ? They have feelings for each other . What will Luke
    do when he see’s Laura again? Will he stay with Anna or get back with Laura? We will
    have to wait and see what happens!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lisa replied

First, let me say ,I am thrilled Genie is coming back to GH.
    Second,I hope the writers do Genie/Laura justice and don’t write her as a damsel in distress again.
    It’s one of the reasons Genie didn’t want to come back to GH at that point.
    She wants to play a strong character – that’s why she went to Y&R.
    Last time she was on GH – she learned that Luke was in love with Tracy Q ( that ship has since sailed ,as has the Luke and Laura of yesteryear).
    They will always have a part of each other – but as a couple ? again ?
    I really hope not.

su0000 replied

Just because Laura will be back does not mean her and Luke will be together. again.
    a lot of time has pasted ..
    I think Luke and Laura will not reunite …

19. Dan says:

Fantastic news! Genie has always been one of my favorites, and I’m so glad she’s coming back home where she belongs. And thank you to Frank V. for making it happen! I hope she’s able to stick around for a while this time.

I wonder if Kin Shriner aka Scott Baldwin will be coming back with her, since if I’m not mistaken, didn’t we see Scott leaving with Laura the last time she was on the show?

To those that say the cast is already full, there’s room enough for everyone, and it’s up to a talented writing and producing team, which GH currently has, to work everyone into the show. They’ve been doing a great job of it so far, the results speak for themselves….3 million viewers for the first time in years!

20. Michael says:

Awesome, just awesome! Francis and Geary are the best actors on daytime, prime time, whatever time. I have really missed watching her- can hardly wait! Now, how bout Jackie Zeman?????

21. Bruce says:

Very happy about this!

22. Scot says:

BEST NEWS EVER!!!!!!!!!!

23. Debbie Harris says:

Looking forward to seeing Genie Francis return as Laura on GH! Kudos to frank Valentini and Ron Carlivati for making GH Great again! It’s FUN to watch these days!

24. Carol says:

They should bring back Denise Alexander also

25. Doe says:

I am very happy Genie Francis is returning to the show that made her a true star. There isn’t an actor , except Luke to restore what once was. Hopefully, Tony will have recovered from his surgery and come back to GH. Can there be magic once again?

26. Robert in Jersey City says:

cool.

it’s been a good week for us soapers!!

27. LeeAnn says:

I am not a GH watcher, but really like Genie Francis ! I will def be checking out GH when she returns !

28. louisa says:

To quote Al Pacino in Godfather III: “Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.”
    The Connie Show was making me want to leave for good. But Laura will make me stay. Genie will bring some class to GH. I just hope she gets a strong storyline and is not there just to listen to Lulu.

29. nyca81 says:

This is the BEST and most exciting news!! I knew Cartini could do it! Thank you Frank and Ron and welcome home to GH Genie Francis!!!

30. James says:

Awesome! She is a major leading lady! BEST NEWS FOR THIS SHOW!

31. Rodd says:

Happy news! You know, one of the things I love about Cartini is that they have managed to give so many GH fans glimpses into the lives of some of their favorites soap characters in such a short amount of time. Oh, some characters aren’t on for a while as other characters take front and center, but I think that’s the beauty of what they do. Everyone gets to play each month, some each week, but no one every day; all month, all year. Some shows play five and six characters all the time. GH seems to be pretty balanced to this long-time-multi-soap-watching-fan. I appreciate that and look forward to how they will play Genie when she returns. Their work is so good that when “Jerry Jacks” shows up with “Robin” before the show ends that day, you catch your breath and then breath lightly until they’re back on screen. And the drama is worth the wait. Theses GH actors, writers and production team members are so good at their jobs that it’s a pleasure to wait for the payoffs; they’re always breath-taking. Can’t wait for what Genie, Frank and Ron have is store for GH’s fans!

32. and1 says:

Seriously, anyone who has an issue with this news doesn’t actually deserve to watch the 50th anniversary season. This is what shows do during an anniversary season people! LOL! They bring back those who, I don’t know… MADE the show! And really, this return is more than that. Genie Francis was and still is the heart of GH. Port Charles has NEVER been the same without her and every single person born before 1993 knows that! We have been waiting for this for a long time. And for it to be done right. I trust current ptb and I know Ms. Francis wouldn’t come back unless she knew she would be in good hands this time. It’s time out for all the random returns in 2006 and 2008. It’s time for GH to bring it and for us all to see and remember why this show set the mark for television, not just daytime, so many years ago. And I won’t even get into the Luke and Laura legendary speech right now. I’m just happy that the nuts who tried to kill this medium are mostly gone. Daytime is getting its steam back and I’m happy about that. SO again, if you’re not appreciating this news right now then look away for a moment… a few things need to be restored and this was definitely one of them! This whole return gives positive attention to GH and soaps as a whole as GF still attracts fans outside of the soap world. Her return, along with other things that are going on in daytime right now is helping the entire industry. I’m done with my rant but sometimes I just wish people could see beyond the headlines… sometimes.

Andy replied

I agree with your post 100%. Genie Francis is one of the most important actresses in not only the history of GH, but the entire soap opera genre, so not to have her back for the show’s 50th anniversary would’ve been a glaring omission. I also share your hope that this production team will right some of the wrongs perpetrated on the actress and the character by previous GH regimes (meaning one Bobo Guza, who broke up L&L just to prove he could).

and1 replied

Oh that one! He definitely tried to tear them apart but it was an epic fail. The 2 characters were meant to be and the actors were meant to be seen on-screen again. The “closure” they tried to write for them in 2008 was a joke and now it’s just time for all of them to bring it and write a last chapter of this story, one for the history books… again :)

Tommy Prunty replied

Bravo, Port Charles is never home without Laura, I grew up with Genie as Laura, though Bobbies shenanigans, killing David Hamilton, marrying Scotty, exercising with Richard Simmons, Luke attacking her and them falling in love…its all memories of an actress who touched my heart, I am elated to see Laura Vining Webber Baldwin Spencer return!!!

brian replied

BRAVO !!! Very well said.

and1 replied

Thanks ;)

Patrick replied

Well written…. and it definately, is stand up and applause the soap WORLD…

food for thought…. what about men folk for all these formidable women? Tracy, Monica, Anna, Alexis, Laura? unless, they’re contracting w/Ian and Robert? correct me if i’m wrong… they don’t and can’t all be fighting over Luke….

sour grapes… i liked Joe Scully, Jr….

33. Judith says:

I am thrilled! Frank and Ron are amazing!!!! I’ve been watching GH since 1972 and it’s been years since I’ve been so excited about the show. It’s like old times. I can’t wait to watch it every day. I can’t remember when I last felt like this about GH. Just like the good old days when this 12 year old ran all the way home from middle school to catch every minute of the then 30 minute show. Kudos to Frank, Ron and all of the amazing actors, crew, staff, etc….. They should be very proud of the product they are turning out every day!

34. MikeT says:

I’m sooooo excited that Genie Francis is finally coming home to Gh!!I just hope she’s back permanatley and not just for a couple weeks this time !!

35. MK says:

Just as long as Lesley and Scotty are with her. I truly believe Laura and Scotty are married and have a child. (the reason she stayed away)

36. tim says:

Fantastic news,hopefully GH will bring back Denise Alexander as well.Laura needs her mom to be there when she comes home.

37. Vickie says:

Yea!!!!

38. CTwildheart says:

I am very happy to hear this news! I am confident that the “new” team at GH will give her a story worthy of Genie and Laura. I hope some of the other people in her life will come along…

39. Beacon says:

Oh my god… Luke and Laura, Anna Robert and Duke, Kevin and Lucy ALL on the show at the same time?! I may just DIE from excitement.

40. Tommy Prunty says:

BEST NEWS EVER…what took them so long???

Scott (ATWT Fan) replied

Cost. Story. Her prior commitments to Y&R.

41. andrea says:

great news but Im not looking forward to this vampire story coming up.At least they will stop talking about Jason because we know hes not coming back!!!!!!!

42. Mary says:

This is wonderful news….Genie is the reason I watched GH and I was devasted when she left….I’m so excited she’s coming back home……..

43. nancy dillingham says:

So very happy to see that Genie is returning–with a great story, I hope.
    Of course, a reunion of the great luminous Genie (Laura) with the softer, vulnerable side of Tony Geary (Luke) is the one I am waiting for. I want to see the actors’ light up in each other presence–the chemistry is always there. And a story exploring the complexities of each character is a must for great story line.
    Genie is hard working with a lot of integrity and honesty. I wish her–and her character Laura–the best GH has to offer–and that can indeed be great with care and commitment of producer and writers.
    Genie has waited long for her due–and, Genie, I have waited long for your reappearance. Can’t wait to see you on air. Know you will not disappoint. And, yes, I agree that TPTB MUST explain why you haven’t been in contact with your children. There’s Genie’s commitment and integrity working: sge cares about the character of Laura. Thanks, Genie-and thanks, GH for bringing Genie “home” again. We all love her so much.

44. Mrs Whittaker says:

Well, it’s about time.

45. Susan says:

I am thrilled! I will be holding my breath for a Luke and Laura reunion. TG & GF are amazing together . Hopefully they will fix all the garbage that they wrote or rewrote about their history. Luke is at his best with Laura. They are always fun to watch. Can’t wait !