59 May 24th, 2013 Bradford Anderson Decides To Go On Recurring Status At General Hospital!

Fan favorite and Daytime Emmy nominee again this year for the Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series category, Bradford Anderson (Spinelli) of General Hospital, had made the decision not to sign a new contract with the ABC soap.  Anderson will instead being on recurring status with the series!

Anderson tweeted to his fans upon them learning the news of his new status with GH: ” Hey friends, I am still at GH and will continue to be.. Recurring isn’t a bad word:) keep watching, great stuff is coming!”

And as GHers know, with the baby drama coming down the pike between Maxie and he, and trouble with Ellie, there is plenty of story ahead.  As with many actors in the soap biz, some opt to go recurring to also help free them up for other opportunities that may arise while continuing their regular role on a soap!

So what do you think of Bradford’s decision?  Weigh-in!

Tags: , , ,

1. lisa says:

Honey ya gotta do what ya gotta do !!

2. Jan says:

They cut him?

Joel replied

They did not cut him. If you read carefully, he says it was his decision to go on recurring status. He is not leaving the show. Recurring only means he’ll be able to accept other jobs while working on GH. A contract is restrictive to doing that.

susan M. replied

I really like Spinelli TOO!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Jessica says:

GH is in free fall. Makes sense to me. I was a very vocal supporter of Cartini coming on board and I believe they did some good, but they seem creatively bankrupt and the show seems like it has absolutely no idea what direction to go in. It’s a mess. I don’t blame him one bit.

Maureen l replied

I agree with you. I’m not happy with the current direction. Bradford is probably making a smart decision leaving his options open.

Patrick replied

is it safe to say…
    that, Spinelli doesn’t have to rely per say on stories… and actors…
    he’s an act un to himself?

he’s that way IMO.

who doesn’t know that quirky intellect… who does romance… i adore him with BOTH Maxie and Ellie… and you can clearly see… he has both. LOL….

Kudos to Spinelli.

I am happy for Bradford… but will miss him!!! He is a fave and I was so hoping he and Maxie would get back together again! I know he will find other great opportunities! Best of luck Bradford!!! Come back often!!!

Joel replied

He’s not leaving the show. If you read carefully, he is only going on recurring status, which means he can take other jobs while still working on GH. He’s not going anywhere.

heidi replied

Thanks Joel… I know… when I said I would miss him… it was because he would be on less time.

5. Al says:

I’m a fan so the positive aspect of this change is that it was Bradford’s decision and not something that was done to him (well, unless/until we hear otherwise later on). Besides, with the way the show spreads out the screentime for most of its characters that aren’t named Sabrina, we’ll probably still see him about as often as we already have been in recent months.

6. rebecca says:

Not too happy about it. Seems like we had the best of both worlds; the veterans coming back whilst keeping the now-familiar faces.

With everyone leaving the whole canvas/sense of community changes.

Sigh. Nothing in life is forever…

7. Ces says:

Well this news sucks. Was so hoping Maxie & Spinelli would reunite but how’s that going to happen on a recurring basis? I hope this was his decision and not TPTB.

Erick replied

Well Emily Wilson (Ellie) has always been on recurring status, and also for that matter are Tyler Christopher (Nikolas), Lynn Herring (Lucy), and Kin Shriner (Scott), who have been on as much if not more than some “contract” people lately (How many episodes has Finola Hughes (Anna) been in recently?].
    Things go in cycles… I’m not worried. Unless of course somebody else throws a contract in his direction. Something I don’t see happening to be honest.

Ces replied

Thanks, that gives Maxie & Spinelli fans hope! :)

8. jimh says:

The way the show rotates characters, it felt like they are all on recurring status.

9. jimh says:

The way the show rotates characters and storylines, it felt like the entire cast is all on recurring status.

danny replied

It really does. You hit the nail on the head, there. NuMorgan seems to be destined for half-naked daily play, and Roger Howarth will be on often, but otherwise everyone else , especially Anna and Maxie seem to have really long breaks in between shows.

jimh replied

GH is good right now, but it feels like im watching two different soaps: one week youll see Luke Laura and Scotty maybe then the following week its all about Sabrina Patrick and Britt! RC is the best writer in daytime but more of these stories need to connect and some characters, especially Felicia need to stop disappearing for weeks or i tend to loose interest in those characters and their stories…what little they do have!

10. Nikki says:

Why is everyone freaking out over this? He is still with the show, he is just not on contract. And no offense, but it’s not as if he is their best actor. I’m surprised the character of Spinelli has lasted as long as he has.

11. Eileen Hargis says:

I think with Steve gone, and Scott gone, and Brandon gone, Bradford is looking at all his options, including his band Port Chuck, which has a difficult time touring when any of them are attachef to a soap. This will give him much more freedom to choose, good for him!

12. Tima says:

With Spinelli being one of the few reasons I still make an attempt to watch GH it is a little saddening, but not unexpected. Cartini seems to want Roger, Michael, and Kristen front and center leaving little time for any GH stars not connected to their characters. Plus once Maxi’s baby mess comes out he would of most likely been pushed further into the background anyway.

Patrick replied

Honestly…

for the romance…

Spinelli was right in their..

Jason – Sam, gone.
    Patrick – Robin, gone.
    Spinelli – Maxie and/or Ellie. hit and miss now….

so… even Dante/ nuLULU are on the skids… almost.

GH is MIA in couples.

it would appear it’s now up to….. Liz/AJ/Nicholas.

13. Conspiracy Theorist says:

$10 says Steve Burton told his boys in Port Chuck to leave because he probably didn’t get along with Carlitini.

Anybody else notice the diminishing screen time of Burton before he left?

Erick replied

Carlivati admits himself he doesn’t like writing for the mob as much as the previous regime (thank goodness). Maurice Benard said in a recent SOD interview that he’s okay with it because he got rid of the part of his ego that would’ve been mad a long time ago. Steve Burton apparently still has it. I doubt he would’ve “moved the family to Tennessee” if he was still front and center on GH.
    Personally I’m not missing him or Jason.

rebecca replied

Actually from what I read he had wanted to move for a while now…as for Maurice, I think his ego is alive and kicking. He recently said in an interview with Michael…if I remember correctly…that although he’s glad other stories are opening up on the show he felt they cut the mob too much.

k/kay replied

Yes Erik you are right about SB and unfortunately we have him front & center on Y&R!

14. su0000 says:

He decided to not sign his contract and to be recurring..
    Please people learn to read and comprehend..

take your time read slowly and understand/comprehend what you are reading, then all the false rumors of Brandon Bradford being let go, will end..
    Most rumors are started by people who can not read with comprehension .

15. David Evan Smith says:

I am shocked Spinelli lasted as long as he has on GH also. I won’t argue that Anderson is an immense talent. He probably has the most challenging scripted dialogue of any character on the show, but he barrels through it like a champ. He can sing, dance, do “noir” style scenes, humor, pathos, and romance. But the character by its nature is a little isolated.

It’s questionable to me that Anderson would make this choice when he finally is roped into a major storyline with Maxie’s pregnancy and its implications for him, Ellie, Dante, Lulu, Britt, Patrick, Sabrina. But honestly I wish him well. Hopefully he can balance more time with his band, his family, other jobs, and pop in as story warrants on GH.

su0000 replied

Recurring can be a very good thing..
    Many are recurring and there is no huge difference from a full contracted actor..
    Recurring get great stories and yet have the freedom to do other projects.
    We will hardly notice, that Brandon is recurring..

RC will use him in stories as usual, Spin is just the type of character that is used..

Brandon Bradford /Spin, given much thought to come to his decision to be recurring for the many reasons he has that is best for his life..
    He is still with GH, and that is happy news.

su0000 replied

ohh my gorsh big mistake lol
    I meant ”’ Bradford Anderson ”

Mary SF replied

Also, recurring means they only have to pay them for the episodes they are in- and if the character is in a hot storyline that can get expensive, so in general, recurring actors get less screen time– ptb rather have actors who are in hot stories, which means in lots of episodes, to be on contract –to save money– like TB on Y&R who plays Lauren, she was recurring for years, then she gets a hot storyline and they put her contract.

16. JJ says:

He’s a waste of space and totally untalented! I can’t believe he was nominated for an award!!! Unwatchable anyway

17. Tali says:

Love the Spinelli character….now if Michael Easton would go on occuring status so he can do OLTL as John McBain, my soap world would be perfect!

18. bonnie says:

wow I can not believe how many are jumping ship im glad for him but GH is really in free fall. The return of the OLTL 3 is ridiculous.I want my soap back .I want talented actors back on the show

19. me says:

“between Maxie and HIM”, not “he”. HIM HIM HIM.

20. Stacey Coutts says:

I think Spinelli is really good. Please don’t leave GH. Also would like to see Robin come back and be with Partick and Emily

21. MARY DITANNA PENDRAK says:

IT’S SEEMS TO BE A HABIT WITH SOME OF THE CAST BY EITHER LEAVING OR RECURRING. I LOVE BRADFORD, HOPING THAT HE KNOWS WHAT HE’S DOING, AND KNOWS HOW MUCH HIS FANS LOVE HIM, SOOOOO, A NEW JOURNEY IS FINE AND I’M HAPPY IF HE’S LOOKING INTO THE FUTURE FOR HIMSELF. I WOULD HOPE AND THINK THAT NO ONE HAS TWISTED HIS ARM AND DISMISS HIM FROM THE SHOW COMPLETELY IF HIS JOURNEY TAKES HIM IN ANOTHER DIRECTION. THINGS HAVE BEEN HAPPENING LATELY THAT GIVES ME TO MUCH TO THINK ABOUT. BE HAPPY AND KNOW WHAT YOU REALLY WANT DOWN THE ROAD BRADFORD, AS YOUR AN EXCEPTIONAL ACTOR THAT WE DON’T WANT TO LOSE. HEY MICHAEL, THANKS FOR KEEPING US UP TO DATE ON THE COMINGS AND GOINGS ON GH. REALLY ADMIRE YOU.

22. Lynne carter says:

Love Bradford. Fellow newenglander did well for himself so talented. I wish him well in all his future endeavors and am hoping recurring is only a temporary thing. Will miss spinelli full time

23. Christy says:

as long as he’s not leaving compltely, I’m fine with it. Isn’t he a new dad? and he’s part of a band? He’ll still be our Spin, but this way he can be all the other things he wants to try out at the same time too.

24. brian says:

Just hope this isn’t his way of going to Y & R !!! lol

25. Kathleen Cordonier says:

If he is happy, then that’s ok, although I’ve grown to love his character Spinelli! I just hope he makes frequent appearances on the show! Good luck and God bless you in all that you do! Kathy in Kansas City

26. aline robichaud says:

please let spenelli on because he brings fun on the show it won’t be the same the soap are so mist up but good luck to you my friend hope you’ll come back one day

27. LLATWTFan says:

That is just so wrong! Spinelli and Maxie are GH’s supercouple. Bradford Anderson is the best actor on GH. We need more of him and them. Very lame.

28. deb says:

NO NO NO….let Ellie go on her own. What about when Maxie comes back? Nobody is better than Spinnelli……Bradford has made the character so charming. Offer him more money so he will stay. There is not another character like him. Let him and Maxie get back together at least b4 he goes….please please???

29. Donna Champagne says:

This sucks.

30. Joan Easman says:

Please don’t let Bradford leave. He makes the show more exciing

31. Angie Lopac says:

I am very disappointed that Bradford Anderson is leaving GH. The show will NOT be the same without him. I’m also angry at Spinelli for leaving. What are his plans? I hope he will be happy with his decision – but I’m NOT!!!!! I used to love how Spinelli loved Maxie. It was how Rhett Butler used to love Scarlett O’hara.
    Sad that the storyline is over!!!

32. Karen D says:

NOOOOO! I love Spinelli, especially with his new role as Daddy! This is sad. I wish Brad the best, however, and much happiness. Who knows–maybe we’ll see him on the BIG screen one of these days. We’ll miss you SOOOO much, Brad!

33. LaVerne Arnold says:

I hate to hear that Bradford is going on reocurring. He’s my favorite character on G.H. I wish him well with any other projects he may be doing. Hopefully, he will return very often because without him and Jason, who was also a favorite character of mine, G.H. is not the same. I think many of us wish that Robin did not come back. Please give her a makeover, she desperately needs it.

34. Lisa Weiner says:

I want to wish Bradford Anderson the very best of luck on his new pilot. I will miss him on general hospital and do hope he comes back to general hospital soon. Lisa Weiner

35. Lisa Foley says:

I hate this what a sad day for GH viewers,

I’m crying watching the goodbyes! I love Spinelli you are already greatly missed!!

36. Cheryl says:

Good Luck in whatever you do Bradford. It will be so nice when you do come back, you make GH. I have only watched it since GL went off the air & you’ve been one of the reasons that has kept me watching. Good Luck & hope to see you soon.

37. jean says:

Things will not be the same without Bradford. his character was amazing and I will miss seeing him on a daily basis. He is an amazing actor. Best wishes Bradford, come back soon!

38. jean says:

Things will not be the same without Bradford. his character was amazing and I will miss seeing him on a daily basis. He is an amazing actor. Best wishes Bradford, come back soon Spinelli!

39. Lilli says:

I remember when this annoying little twit first came on the show and just how he got under my skin I will never know. He wormed his way into my heart with loyalty, love, compassion and joy. I always look forward to seeing him.

40. Angie W says:

Plain and simple… I think it sucks.

41. Newfie says:

It isn’t any wonder why some of the cast is leaving General Hospital. The story lines are , I don’t know what to say about them. I feel that they should fire the writers. The story line are dragged out to much. I started watching B & B and Y & R lately and I can see why these two soaps are on top. They do not drag out story lines, but let them develop in a reasonable amount of time. GH and DOOL should learn from them.

42. Tiffany says:

First they kill Jason off (maybe missing only) Miss you Steve Burton. Now Spenilli is leaving. Will miss seeing you Spenilli on every episode of GH. Will miss you Bradford. Good luck in your next chapter in your life.